Tyrone Warner, Microblog: no links, just updates -- join me on Twitter!

www.flickr.com

4.02.2007

Post Junos 2007 wrap up


Well, that's it. Another year of Canadian music wrapped up and put to bed. Now it's time to move on to the 2006/2007 season, and all the questions that come with it -- will next year's events be a celebration of the Arcade Fire? Who will host? Will Celine Dion comeback with her supposed new album? Let's hope not.

I've been working on CTV.ca's coverage of the Junos for the last few months, and it feels good now that it's all over (I'll give a wrap of all my stories in case you missed anything further down). I think this year has been our best year in terms of coverage too; I think the web site looked awesome with great features like the blog, where even Lainey from laineygossip.com joined us on Sunday night from Saskatoon.

Did I wish I went to Saskatoon to cover the Juno festivities? Of course. Maybe next year.

So let's get down to the show (if you didn't catch it, go to this page, and the "Acuvue Player" has highlights and performances). Nelly was a pretty natural host -- almost with a girl next door kind of quality. I was expecting her to be more of a sexpot host like Pam Anderson last year, but Furtado really had a natural charm and goofiness that was unique.

The best performance? In my opinion -- and I'm being honest, here -- Three Days Grace were easily the highlight of the show. Not k-os and his cries of "propaganda," not Alexisonfire or Billy Talent, who though they rocked hard, didn't do much different, not Tragically Hip who played a "new single" that nobody knew and almost Gregory Charles.

No it was Three Days Grace who did something a little different, and really put on a performance that felt special... the solo acoustic guitar treatment with orchestral accompaniment, then explosions and rock and roll. Am I personally a fan? Not really, but I'll give props that the band didn't treat it like just another performance and made it memorable. I bet these guys will come back for some awards next year.

Alright, here's my round up of interviews/Juno coverage in reverse order (newest to oldest).

Patrick Watson (Juno Performer) interview

Bell Orchestre interview

Shout Out Out Out Out interview

Neverending White Lights interview

Evan's Blue interview

DJ Champion (Juno performer) interview

"Nelly added to list of performers" story

Malajube interview

Gregory Charles (Juno performer) interview

Bob Rock (inducted into Hall of Fame) profile

Jim Cuddy interview

Nelly Furtado profile

Brent Butt (comedian and former Juno host) interview

Juno nomination announcement at the Mod Club story

And that's about it... how about I end this one with some Youtube clips? And holy crap, these are amazing.

Bob Dylan introduces Gordon Lightfoot into Hall of Fame



Kim Mitchell performs "Might as well go for a Soda" at the Junos, 1985. Oh man I need a sweet old OPP hat like that.



Bryan Adams does "Can't Stop this thing we started." I love this song. 1992.



Rush introduced into Hall of Fame. 1994. Part two is here.



That's it! I'm out! Leave comments!

No comments: